Wednesday 1 June 2011

What I learned on a Motorbike in Bali..

I rented a small motorbike whilst working in Bali - from memory it was a 175cc Honda.
Leaving Denpasar and following the coast road - Jalan Gumbrih - Lalanglinggah, through Pekutatan I eventually came to a ferry port at the western tip of the Island. Turning right I headed for the hills and the rode through some of the most amazing scenery I have ever seen.
After leaving the main road to head back to the hotel, I noticed that I was being followed by another motorbike and noticed that I had a slight power to weight ratio disadvantage when compared to the young lad following me. On the flat and downhill I could pull away, but uphill he definately had the advantage...
We "raced" through forest roads until we came to the outskirts of  Denpasar and had to stop at a set of traffic lights. While we were stationary he asked me where I was from - so I explained that I was originally from England but that I was living in Las Vegas now. Knowing that I was English, he immediately invited me to go and have tea at his family business.
So I agreed and followed him through some of the poorest housing that I have come accross, until we came to what was essetially a shack built out of plywood and corrugated iron. This was the family business - a street cafe serving tea, coffee and snacks.
He insisted that he buy me a cup of tea and a portion of Rojak - spicy fruit salad. He introduced me to his family and was intrigued about this crazy Englishman who lives in Las Vegas and rides a motorbike off the tourist routes.
What I learned was that whilst these people had virtually nothing - they were proud to invite me to eat and drink with them and give me the gift of hospitality and unconditional friendship, I was equally humbled and grateful. To give without the expectation of recieving was my lesson from some of the most genuine people it had become my priviledge to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment