Monday 24 November 2014

The #1 Rule for Achievement that most People Ignore...

...but high achievers nail every time...

I am often asked what it is that makes people successful - personally and professionally. As a Business Coach I see all sorts of people achieve fabulous results - I have also come to recognise the patterns of behaviour associated with this success, and the patterns that sabotage he success of others...
First, lets look at what you DON'T NEED to be successful...
  1. College or University Degree.
  2. Masters Degree, especially an MBA...
  3. Rich parents or family...
  4. Rich wife or husband...
  5. Be pretty or handsome...
  6. Permission from someone else...
  7. To be liked by everyone...
Of course having some or all of them may increase the pace of success, but they shouldn't be excuses that are allowed to get in the way either..
So does this mean that uneducated, ugly people living in poverty that no one likes are bound to be successful...?
Of course not; but if you don't have any of them it doesn't mean that you can't achieve what you want either...
Now that's out of the way, there are a couple of other "issues" that have to be addressed. Doesn't matter whether you are employed, running your own business or even in the military; there is one thing that will get in the way of achievement no matter how rich, pretty, or educated you are...

It's all about what is at the centre of your Universe...

What I mean, is what do you choose to place highest priority and importance on...?

As a young Operations Manager running a large distribution warehouse, it was my job to make sure that all incoming orders were picked, packed, despatched and delivered such that our customers experienced excellent service and 24 hr turn-round...
We were selling Computer Games Consoles and December was a huge month for us we would be despatching 1000's of machines, games and accessories every day on the run up to Christmas.
After an exhausting few weeks, we had finally made it to Christmas Eve, I was the last person to leave the warehouse, it was around 19.00; we had finally stopped operations for a couple of days and I was looking forward to a family break...
As I was about to switch the lights off and hand the site over to on site security, my 'phone rang.
It was a distraught woman who had ordered a games machine from us for her 9 year old son, but it hadn't arrived and she wanted to know if |I could help...
It was almost tempting to start mimicking the answer machine message and inform her that we were closed for Christmas and she should call back in a week; but I didn't...
I took her details, and promised to call her back within 10 minutes. Firing up the Order Processing system I could see that the order had been retrieved and paid for, but that one of the accessories was out of stock so it was placed on backorder.
I called her back, and said that I had the machine and the accessories, and that they would be with her before Christmas morning.
She lived about 100 miles away from the warehouse, and the only way to get it there was to put it in my car and take it myself, it was 20.00 by now...
I called Lynn and told her what I was doing, she wasn't surprised and simply said - "see you in the morning..."

Arriving at around 23.00 at the home of the family who'd ordered the machine, I rang the bell and waited.
The door opened and I have never seen anyone so happy to see a bloke carrying a cardboard box - they were overjoyed, I had made their son's Christmas, and they were stunned that someone from a Corporate Business actually cared enough to drive 3 hours to deliver one box - one out of 1000's we had already delivered...
At the centre of my universe was my purpose to be the best, most effective manager I could be. I knew that if I achieved that, then my family would be well cared for and we would achieve financial, lifestyle and balance success as a consequence; the better I was as a Manager the better life would be...
I ask the question...

"what would you do in that situation...?"

at events and workshops and only about 5% of people say...

"I'd take it to her..."

What would you do...?

Most people make excuses, create reasons or give refunds. Some people put their own time ahead of their professional time, and some people just say "tough, call back next year..."
So here, in my experience, we have one of the defining factors that determines our levels of success. It is our ability to put the objectives and purpose ahead of our own convenience and routines.
I was taught to put my Purpose at the centre of my Universe, and that providing I did that and sacrificed a little bit of comfort and convenience now and again I would achieve all that I wanted.
When we have clarity about the purpose we are working towards, whether it be professional or personal, and we give that our full attention even at the expense of our own levels of comfort and convenience - that is where the magic happens...
Here's the #1 Results Rule; if you put...

Self at centre of Universe = then you will do only what is Convenient...

Purpose at centre off Universe = then you will do what ever it takes...

So the question is; what are you prepared to sacrifice in order to achieve...?
Will you give up your weekends, work late, cancel holidays; the day after we got married we postponed the Honeymoon so I could go to College and sit an exam that I didn't want to miss..

Made me very popular...
Or are YOU the most important thing in the universe around which others must rotate and gravitate towards. Do your priorities always take precedence over those of others - are you so attached to your comfort blanket that it actually smothers any chance of growth and success that comes your way...?
Truly successful people put their Purpose at the centre of their Universe, they work their socks off to make it happen and reap the rewards that are denied to many because they are willing to endure the sacrifices tolerable to only a few...
PS - this rule doesn't mean that you sacrifice your home and family life in the name of money and professional success. Lynn and I have been together for 35 years this week as it happens, we have two amazing, balanced and successful boys; it just means that sometimes you have to do something outside of the 9 to 5 routine to achieve the results you desire...
David Holland MBA is the Founder and CEO of Results Rules OK, a Business Coaching, Training and Publications Company with offices in France, Luxembourg and the UK...
To find out more about working with David as you Business Coach, Executive Coach or Team Trainer - just drop him a note to davidholland@resultsrulesok.com for an introductory and complimentary discussion that just could change your life, your business and your results...
If you'd like to come to one of our Events to meet David, the Team and some of his Clients, then check out the website HERE - we look forward to seeing you and hearing from you...

No comments:

Post a Comment