Wednesday 7 January 2015

Limiting Beliefs = Limited Results...

For Managers, CEO's and Business Owners, one of the phrases they should dread hearing is...
We've always done it that way....
Not because it means that what they are doing is fundamentally wrong, but that the accepted methods, systems and processes have simply become comfortable at best and destructive at worst...

Where do these beliefs come from - a simple case study...

Over the Christmas Holidays I was chatting with a colleague in the USA; he is in a similar business to me but works with a much larger organisation.
He was explaining how his sales system worked - believe it or not this was compelling at the time - and what results he expected to achieve...

Here's what he told me...

  1. First week back after Christmas is really slow - people don't want to take sales calls or book appointments so they won't start any activity until Monday 19th - in fact Monday is such a bad day for selling, that calls would be made on a Tuesday and Wednesday...

  2. The very best performers in the business were able to book One Appointment per day, or five each week from which they would actually meet with three (two would cancel"and every two weeks they would sign a client - a conversion rate of around 16%...

  3. On average, each member of the team only actually achieve 2 appointments per month - so for 205 the objective was to raise this to 3.

This process represented his Belief about what was achievable within the organisation and it helped him and the whole company develop an accepted "Pattern of Expectation"...

This pattern had been developed over years of experience, looking at what others in the industry were achieving and even what the company that he had left before he joined them had achieved; these are called Echo Patterns.
Echo Patterns are what we choose to believe about business and life based on previous experience; not of what is actually possible..
These "beliefs" and Echo Patterns around Selling were used to target activity, growth expectations and reward for excellence. It became a Corporate Limiting Belief that everyone had bought into..
So I asked him...
How could you add a zero to these results...?
What I meant was increase by a factor of 10 the number of appointments made in a day...
He replied...
I wish we could, but in this industry it's just the way it is...
So I thought I'd try something...
I would attempt to break the "Pattern of Expectation" that my friend had told me was the way it had to be..

So I decided to call a number of prospects on Monday 5th January with the intention of booking not one but twenty appointments...

That's adding a Zero and Doubling it; all on a day that "appointments can't be made"...
So, on Friday 2nd January we sat in my office and made a list of people and prospects that we wanted to work with during 2015..
The list was just 26 names long and included Corporations, Entrepreneurs and Business Owners; they had all connected on LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter or they had been to an event, bought one of my books or downloaded my Blogs.
Then on Monday 5th January - when no one takes sales calls apparently - I hit the 'phones, sent emails, Facebook & LinkedIn messages and even sent out a few texts...
No scripts, templates or gimmicks - just an offer of meeting with me over a coffee to l see how we could work together in 2015...

The Results...

  • 19 Appointments booked on the day...

  • One speaking gig booked at €750.00 per hour...

  • 5 appointments confirmed on Tuesday too...

  • One instant referral to another prospect - lunch booked...

OK- so I haven;t converted them all to paying clients yet; but I have set myself a target of 100% conversion...
They want to meet so they want to buy. it's only me that can talk them out of it; will keep you posted...

Why did I do it...?

Well really, because I am by nature contrary - I will argue with anyone about anything, whether I think I'm right or not...
So I wanted to see if I could prove him wrong..

And here lies the opportunity...

  1. What Echo Patterns are being allowed to be prevalent in your business...?

  2. Are you and the team limiting the pace of growth and success simply because you are convinced "that is the way it has to be.."

  3. How could you shatter the Corporate Limiting Belief and add a Zero to results you can achieve in 2015..?

So while your competitors are waiting to get 2015 started, how can you steal a lead and add a zero and double it to your results too.

Next Event - come along, meet the Team and be Inspired...

Birmingham 30th January LINK - Customer Service Master Class...
Luxembourg 6th February LINK - Customer Service Master Class...
David Holland MBA is the Founder and CEO of Results Rules OK, a Business Coaching, Training and Publications Company with offices in France, Luxembourg and the UK...
To find out more about working with David as you Business Coach, Executive Coach or Team Trainer - just drop him a note todavidholland@resultsrulesok.com for an introductory and complimentary discussion that just could change your life, your business and your results...
If you'd like to come to one of our Events to meet David, the Team and some of his Clients, then check out the website HERE - we look forward to seeing you and hearing from you...

No comments:

Post a Comment