Thursday 21 March 2013

Life Lessons from Las Vegas...



Living in the USA was an adventure – living in Las Vegas was surreal…



My eldest son Jon and I wandered into Red Rock Harley Davidson one Saturday morning; for some time I had promised myself that I would get myself a motorbike, it was a dream of mine, and when in the USA – there is only one bike that matters

Not interested in the Fat Boys, Hard tails or Baggers – I found the Night Rod Special. This bike has a liquid cooled engine developed by Porsche, is the fastest most powerful production bike that Harley had ever made; and it was black, low and looked absolutely stunning...

I sat on the bike and when approached by the assistant – I bought it instantly…
Now, there were two things I thought about immediately – one is small and blonde, the other is tall, dark and carries a scythe...

The blonde one – Lynn – my wife, was used to dealing with the unexpected and crazy; that is how we ended up in Vegas in the first place.  Somehow, me buying a motorbike on a Saturday morning would not be a total surprise. 

The other guy dressed in a black hoodie with the scythe was a little more concerning; and the reason was simple. 

I had never ridden a motorbike of any sort in my life – not even a scooter…

So I did what every sensible person would do – I went onto YouTube and watched a video about how to ride a motorcycle – how hard can it be…? 

We took the bike on a trailer into the desert north of Las Vegas and found a disused road by the Nellis Air Force base and I got on the bike and started to figure out how to ride it…

So far so good – straight lines on a clear road were easy…

Then I decided I had better get my licence – the tall dark guy seemed to be looming ever closer.

In the car park at Las Vegas Harley Davidson – where I did my bike training the instructor lined us up before we even touched the bikes and said;

Rule 1 - on a motorcycle, where ever you look, you will go, and whatever you look at you will hit”

What he meant was that when riding a bike, be really careful where you look – on a bend for example, if you look at the exit point from the bend that’s where your physiology will guide you and the bike. If however, you look at the tree half way round, equally you will probably hit that instead.

Simply put – where you look is where you will arrive.

Rule 2 – in this car park there are two things you must not ever look at. One - me and Two - the concrete block in the middle of the car park that supports the lighting system”

Positive or Negative – it is a choice. The universe doesn’t filter our attention, it delivers whatever we choose, so whilst we need to have a positive goal we may need to actively avoid the obstacles that may get in our way if we let them. 
There are always people and “concrete blocks “in life that will stop us if we pay attention to them…

So what did I learn in Vegas….?

First, in life and in business I see so many people who never actually take the risk of achieving their dreams, or they decide that dreams are best left alone completely. Buying the bike and taking action was the first step in making my dream of riding my own Harley along the Las Vegas Strip. 

It felt scary and somehow ridiculous, especially as I had never been on a bike before – if I had taken advice about this I’m sure I would have been talked out of it…

And Second, I see others who are focussed on the trees on the bend rather than their exit or destination – what we choose to focus on will become manifest to us. The saying “can’t see the wood for the trees” is unfortunately so true…

It is all to do with perspective – for me and my clients – dreaming big, taking the scary action required and keeping focussed on the destination is the only way to live and achieve success. 

My questions for you would be;

Will you dare to Dream…?

Are you prepared to get scared in order to achieve it..?

Where is your attention – the trees and obstacles, or your remarkable future destination…?

What you choose to focus on will become manifest to you – just be careful what it is…

Come along to our UK Planning Day in Birmingham on the 12th April 2013 and spend time with like-minded Entrepreneurs being guided by one of the top Business Coaches in the World – and dare to Dream, get Scared and Achieve more…

Click on the LINK to find out more and register your place - see you at the top..

No comments:

Post a Comment