Sunday 12 October 2014

Why you should be nice to those who serve you...

...never upset the barman, waiter or chef...

We have offices in the best office centre in Luxembourg, at Buros, Strassen - owned and managed by the one and only Janice Allgrove...


Click on the LINK to find out more...

Last week, Janice had organised an Art Event, where local artists display their pictures, sculptures and creations so that invited guests can both view and purchase items they like...

At these events there is a FREE Bar with Wine and Champagne available to everyone, but unfortunately the Barman didn't show up..

So - I was asked if I'd "manage the bar.."

Bit like putting the Fox in charge of the Chickens...

As the evening went on I served dozens of people their drinks and learned a few lessons about the character of people in the process..

Negative Lesson from behind the Bar...

1. The Know it all - some people insisted on looking at the labels on the bottles, smelling the cork and tasting before I was allowed to fill their glass.

Bad Move - I know that most people can't tell the difference between a white and a red let alone a Pinot Noir and a Merlot. The cork that was passed to them was not from the bottle they were being served from and yet they insisted it smelled good and passed the test.


2. The Dismissive - walking up to the bar and not saying a word but simply pointing at the bottle from which a drink is expected is not a good move either.

It's really easy to pretend you haven't seen them, and completely ignore them until they have the courtesy to engage properly and politely. One chap kept pointing and waving, but didn't get a drink all night as far as I can tell. And no he wasn't deaf or mute...

3. The Arrogant - "red wine" is not how you should ask for a drink. "Could I have a Red Wine PLEASE..." is the right term..

I answered this lady with the simple "yes it is - well done..." to the lady who simply barked "red wine.." at me and then checked her I phone while holding her hand out..

4. The Ungrateful - checking the label and then asking if we have any Luxembourgish Cremant instead of French Champagne is silly..

When asked this question - you can guess the reply - but I pointed out that this was a FREE bar and that if he wanted a specific vintage or brand perhaps he should get is wallet out...

Positive Lessons from behind the Bar...

1. The Polite - smiling and saying please and thank you goes a looooonnnnnnggg way..

One lady asked if I had any still water at room temperature, not chilled. I had a bottle that had not been put in the fridge and so was able to help. My mom doesn't like chilled drinks so I know how she feels; she was happy and said thank you..

I told her that I would keep this bottle just for her when she wanted a refill, when she came back to the bar next time - no words were needed, I just filled her glass with her water and all was good.

2. The Friendly - entering into a brief conversation with those that serve you, even though you don't have too will help too...

One chap was there with his wife and young child, looks like he had been nominated to drive and his wife was "allowed" a couple of glasses of wine - they were friendly engaging and chatty...

When I saw that her glass was empty, I walked from the bar and topped her champagne up without expecting her to come to the bar with all the bags and stuff that going out with a young child requires - she told me I was the best Barman in the World..  


3. The Helpful - seeing that I was running out of glasses, a couple of people actually offered to help, which was really appreciated...

Help is always reciprocated - guess who got served quicker with bigger glasses when they came back for a top up...

4. The Trusting - a couple of people simply asked what I recommended, they trusted my judgement and left it to me...

This is a great move, they only got the best - no sediment from the Red wine and the biggest of the glasses available, I was also able to chat freely to them and say why I'd chosen the selection for them.

Conclusion...

It was a treat and lesson to be working behind a Bar again - it reminded me of how people can treat those that they believe are "beneath" them, it also taught me that the majority of people are polite, pleasant and fun to be around...

The key lesson is that those who were, Know it all's, Dismissive, Arrogant or Ungrateful didn't have a great experience - the experience reflected their attitude...

Those who were Polite, Friendly, Helpful and Trusting had a great experience - their experiences matched their attitude too..

In life and in business we get back what we put out; life, relationships and results are a direct reflection of us - if we want better we simply need to be better and behave in a way that attracts positive outcomes...


Be happy, be successful and both play and be NICE...

Why should you contact me...?
Simple - you and your team will be better off with me as your Coach than you are without me.
I will expect and encourage you to achieve more than you think possible, you will love me some days and hate me the next.
I will take away your excuses and replace them with achievement; and on the way we'll have more fun than should be allowed in Business...

So, if you think you're ready - drop me an Email...

If you think you're not - then it makes no difference what you do...

No comments:

Post a Comment