Sunday 5 April 2015

Passion, Talent & Skill - the Success Formula...

In business and in life we are told to follow our dreams, have a vision and never quit...

Is this a recipe for success or is it just an idea thought up on the spot by a guru on stage in front of a willing audience...?
Having a "dream" and following it cannot be the way to achieve success; if it was no one would read personal development books, walk over hot embers in car parks or snap arrows on their throats as a show of belief..
If it were true - everyone would just do it, be successful and have a nice life without all the drama; so something else is going on...
I have read over 875 books, and written and published 48 of my own; and one of the things that I have come to understand about just about all business and personal development books - and I have to confess, mine included...
Is that there is a common formula that they all promote, and it goes something like this..

Business Development.

  1. Figure out WHY you want to be in business, create a product or service that you can sell that will support it, then get good at Marketing, Sales and Service until you make enough to achieve it...

Personal Development.

  1. Have a dream, overcome all the negative voices in your head, think positive, associate with like minded people and the universe will provide you with your outcomes...
Sounds easy doesn't it - but the more books I read, the more I realise that there is nothing very new out there. There are different styles, flavours and shades; but the underlying principles are the same.

And they are NOT working...

At a recent seminar at the NH Hotel in Luxembourg, I had been invited to deliver a Key Note presentation on Motivation and Goal Setting...

The audience included around 45 people, including Entrepreneurs, Senior Executives and Business Owners...
At the end of my presentation I invited questions - usually no one says a word, and everyone dutifully smiles and applauds when instructed; but today was different...
A trusted and respected Entrepreneur asked me a question...
Lots of people have a dream, but still go bankrupt; why...?
He is right, if Personal Development worked, there would be no need for Personal Development...
Just like there are very few books, CD sets or workshops on how to breathe, keep your heart pumping while you're asleep or that when it'd cold outside - you should really put a coat on..

There is a difference between Passion and Ability...

As a youngster I had a passion for music - I bought a drum kit and played in a band all over the UK, did recording work and even a few bookings as a session drummer...
But sadly I came to realise that although my passion was strong, unfortunately my talent didn't match it....

My drum heroes include Gene Krupa, Rick Buckler, Neil Peart, Joey Jordison and Travis Barker; it was my "dream" to be an international rock star...
So what went wrong...?
Nothing went wrong, I just had to realise early on that the Success Formula was against me...

The Success Formula.

(Passion x Talent) + Skill = Success %

Let's use my Drumming Career as a case study...

On scales of 1 to 10, here is how I scored.

Passion - 9

Talent - 4

Skill - 8

Result - ( 9 x 4 ) + 8 = 44

On this basis I had a 44% chance of success...
The problem was not my Passion or my Skill - I had spent hours being taught how to play all 40 rudiments; I knew what I was doing..
The missing ingredient was Talent - I studied other drummers at the top of their game, I could play what they played, I can even do the intro to Toto's Roseanna..
But they had real Talent - and I didn't...
No amount of Skills will compensate for low Talent; anyone can learn how to play the drums, but without Talent and Passion it just doesn't work...
What this means, however, is that Talent and Passion always beat Skill; Skill can be learned and developed over time and experience, but Passion and Talent are inside us and are much more powerful...

So what...

We shouldn't just follow our Passions, we need to find something we are both Talented and Passionate about...
I have a Talent for Engineering; I am a qualified Production Engineer with certificates for Design, Metrology and even Underwater Welding...

I spent 5 years as an Apprentice within Royal Ordnance gaining skills and being trained in all aspects of Mechanical Engineering...

Here's how my Success Formula looked for Engineering...

Passion - 2

Talent - 8

Skill - 9

Result - ( 2 x 8 ) + 9 = 25%

I would make a worse Engineer than I would a Drummer...
I have no Passion for it - I can do it, and I am actually quite good; but without Passion, it means virtually nothing...
So the message should not be follow your Passion, it should be modified to;

Follow the Passion for which you have a Talentfor; then learn the Skills you'll need on the journey...

I see so many people who are trapped unhappily in either jobs or businesses that they don't enjoy or believe in; the Success Formula is out of balance...
Being qualified as a Lawyer, Accountant or MBA may tick the Skill part of the equation, but real success is not dependent upon Skill; its the Passion and Talent that determines success...
So remember when you are chanting your affirmations, tapping into your vortex or challenging your limiting beliefs - if you don't have a Talent for what you think you are Passionate about, it's a tough world...

About David Holland MBA - Underwater Welding Dip...

I work with Business Owners, Executives and their Teams to:
✔ Make more Money in their Business...
✔ Build Effective and Productive Teams...
✔ Work Less Hours and enjoy the Journey...
✔ Grow Sales, Profit and Cash...
✔ Achieve more than they think is possible...
To find out more about how I can help you, send me a connection request on LinkedIn, or send me a message if we are already connected

Next Business Growth Workshops;

UK - Friday 17th April ... ( 3 places left...)

Luxembourg - Friday 8th May... ( 5 places left...)
Click on the LINK to find out more and reserve your places...

No comments:

Post a Comment