Thursday 1 October 2015

This Years Best Excuse Award...

I haven't saved humanity, won the Nobel Prize for anything or even got an MBE from the Queen...
On the scale of huge achievements, mine are comparatively small...
I'm not as Rich as Bill Gates, Innovative as Elon Musk or as good looking as David Beckham - or that bloke out of the Goo Goo Dolls for that matter...
I don't chant incantations to myself in the mirror each morning, have a "Dream Chart" above my bed or have the desire to be another Tony Robbins...
But - I am pleased with progress so far, including...
  • 35 years with Lynn - "my first wife" as I refer to her...
  • 2 Amazing Sons - Jon and Rich...
  • Travelled to over 40 Countries and worked in 24...
  • Published 44 Books...
  • Lived in Las Vegas - now living in rural France...
  • MBA - with distinction no less...
  • Privileged to work with the best clients in the World...

It could have been so different...

At school I remember being told that I would "never amount to anything" and being given two career choices;
  1. Join the Army

  2. Go down the Pit

Both worthy professions of course, but the fact that they were recommended to me meant I was programmed to reject them...
At 16, I remember cycling to school after the exams to look at my results that were pinned to the wall outside the entrance...
I also remember thinking where will I be by the time I'm 30 - was I going to let my education be my best excuse for not doing something awesome with my life...
Education seemed to be the one excuse that I could justifiably use to not have amazing opportunities great career and happy life..
So I remember thinking..
What if that excuse didn't exist...?
Pretty deep for a 16 year old riding a Raleigh Olympus through the Warwickshire countryside...
So I decided to remove that excuse and see what happened..
For me it meant spending 12 years at Night School, doing Day Release, Distance Learning and Vocational training..
It also meant leaving home, sleeping rough and eating at charity shelters; it meant not having a shower for days on end but going to college anyway, working three jobs to pay the rent and still finding time to write, read and pass exams...

Up to the age of 30 - while all this "learning" was going on - I got a job and built a career, we got married and had two boys...
Got a house with a shower too - thankfully...
I have got more pieces of paper than most - they include an ONC, HNC, DMS a Certificate of Apprenticeship from the Ministry of Defence, an Underwater Welding Certificate, Power Press Safety Certificate, and even one for changing Grinding Wheels - oh and did I mention my MBA with Distinction..?
I have achieved more than I was supposed to - more than my teachers, parents or peers thought I would or given the chance would have allowed me to.

And I'm not finished yet - in fact we've only just got going...
And the lesson I have learned on the way is simple...

When the excuses are removed - all things are possible...

Epilogue...

I sent a book to a member of the Team at one of my clients, recommending that they read it so we can discuss the ideas and principles contained within it and apply them to their development and career...
That was 2 months ago; on the telephone last week I asked how the reading was coming along...
I haven't got time to do any learning...
I was a bit busy too - working shifts in the factory, sleeping on trains and platforms, fighting over food in charity shelters; but I always had time to learn...

Not surprising that my response was somewhat terse...

So The Best Excuse Award goes to...

Anyone who ever says..

"I don't have time..."

If anyone has any advice for my Clients Team - please leave a note below...

They won't read this Blog because guess what - they don't have time...

 

Want to work with a Business Coach...?

Want a Speaker for your Event or Conference...?

No comments:

Post a Comment