Monday 25 August 2014

Is This what's Killing your Results...?

...or Your Teams Performance...?

Success and Achievement - two words that people chase and scamper around for during both their Personal and Professional lives...

Of course, Success and Achievement look different to everyone - there are a variety of Currencies by which they can be measured...

Picture Credit - Nikki McCormack


For some, money, career and trappings are the barometer by which they measure success, for others it is family, contribution and knowledge. In my experience too many people get seduced by the first three at the expense of the second...

Next time you meet someone new - using their name, simply ask them to;

"tell me about "name"..."

See what they say...

If they tell you what they do to earn money then that is their measure of success...

If they tell you that they are the Mother of three children, then that is theirs...

Etc....

There are a set of Rules - because after all ResultsRulesOK - that determine the degree of success and achievement they experience...

Rule #1 - choose wisely

Choosing the right Goal for yourself. As as Manager I wanted to achieve the status of CEO and have a Corner Office. I achieved  this when I was in the Aviation Business, looking after the Air-side Operations for a division of a national carrier at London Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted.

For about a month it felt great; I had my own car park space at three major airports, board meetings to attend and customers to look after. But in the back of my mind I knew that in reality this was all just "fluff" so I resigned and started a business that held my passion - hence I am writing this now.

Be clear on the currency of your success - don't get seduced by the salary and the title. There are plenty of Corporate Executives who have bought the dream only to find that they are in fact "black on the inside..."

Rule #2 - The power of N3

Make your success a "Non Negotiable Need - N3..." not a "Soft Optional Want"...

The best way to become successful is to make it so that you have no choice but to make it. In my experience, the majority of people do their best works when their backs are against the wall - when they come out fighting and do what ever it takes to survive and thrive...

I was once asked by a freshly trained Business Coach, who had £75,000 in savings, what I thought would be the best way to invest this money in his business - a legitimate question.

My answer surprised him - I told him to keep two months expenses in his current account and put the rest out of reach so he couldn't spend it. He looked at me and shook his head, and walked off. 12 months later I had a 'phone call from him - he told me that he spent the £75,000 on "stuff" during the first 9 months of his business, and another £18,000 on credit cards before he got his first client..

He said that the money gave him a cushion, a comfort blanket that meant he didn't HAVE to get clients - when he was nearly bankrupt, he stepped up and got them; an expensive lesson in motivation...

Rule #3 - Overnight Success

Doesn't exist - or at least for 98.5%. The reason most people don't achieve the success and achievement they want is because the simply quit.. 


It gets too hard and they go and get a job or choose another "new business" to have a play with until that too falls over - beware the "serial entrepreneurs" it just may be that they have failed so many times that they are unemployable and have to move on regularly because they don't know what they are doing...

There are plenty of examples of this, where people don't quit and break through - from Jim Carey to JK Rowling, Richard Branson to Elon Musk. Achievement takes time - be prepared for the long haul, be prepared to live on Value Baked Beans for a while too.

Success arrives when you least expect it - it is a consequence of all your work and passion, not something that you can predict with accuracy. 

So if you want to achieve real success - just work through the three steps. If your team are not performing, take them through the steps too..

When people have no choice but to be successful - they usually will be...

Take away the excuses, burn the bridges and dig in for a long campaign...

To Your Success...


Why should you contact me...?

Simple - you will be better off with me as your Coach than you are without me. 

I will expect and encourage you to achieve more than you think possible, you will love me some days and hate me the next. I will take away your excuses and replace them with achievement; and on the way we'll have more fun than should be allowed in Business...

So, if you think you're ready - drop me an Email...

If you think you're not - then it makes no difference what you do...



Places available at our  Get More Clients, Customers and Students Workshop  in October and November 2014;  bring your Team along and learn how to grow your Business- click on your preferred Location below...



No comments:

Post a Comment