Sunday 17 August 2014

What Would You Say when Asked this Question....?

...or would you avoid it and walk off...?

I was at a networking event recently and got in to discussion with a guy who was explaining to me how tough his business was, and how he wasn't making much profit...

He put clients onto a Health and Fitness Program and his biggest challenge wasn't that he couldn't get them started; it was that they left after a few months...

Picture Credit - DC Comics 


This "churn" of clients was limiting the growth of his business - his pace of Marketing and client acquisition was equal to his attrition rate. So no growth was possible - something had to change...

He asked me what I thought - straight away I said... 

"Fix your attrition rate..."

Then it happened...

"Ah but this town is special, it's not like other towns, we have a transient population, people don't stay for long so I expect a higher than normal attrition rate. 

I paid for a consultant to look at my levels of customer service and after a couple of months not seeing any improvement - I stopped using him....

Next I am going to try and get more Clients by doing more Marketing; what  do you think about that...?"

"As I said - fix your Attrition Rate..."

"But my service is great, and the attrition rate is as good as it can be, what else can I do except do more marketing...?"

Not sure if he really expected me to change my mind just because he got more defensive about how great his service was - it wasn't going to work; so I said...

"You know how people's business is a direct reflection of them; their behavior, attitudes and beliefs...?"

"Yes...."

"Well, the reason your Client are quitting after a couple of months is because you are quitter too - you quit working with your consultant because you didn't get results. Instead of fixing it and making the relationship work - you quit because it was easier than working at it..."

"That's not true...."

"In fact I will bet you that you have quit plenty of relationships throughout your life and blamed the other person for it - I'm right aren't I...?"

"Listen I didn't come here to be lectured by you, I've been in business for 15 years..."

"But you did ask me what I thought - that's why I am telling you - so I suggest you shut up and stop whining about your clients and start to change your attitude and behavior such that you build a more successful business..."

He sat down and looked at me shocked - no one had ever spoken to him that way before, and he didn't know what to do next...

He sighed and sank into his chair and said...

"So you're saying that it's because of me that the clients are quitting...?

"Yes - the behavior of your clients is a direct consequence of your attitude towards success and achievement; when you really commit to something an follow it through regardless of how hard it gets, when you choose to fight not quit then so will your clients..."

He started to look more thoughtful - I could see the past running through his mind as he counted up all the times he had chosen the easy route and quit...

Then he quietly wandered off into the crowd and he was gone...

I have no idea what he did as a consequence of our conversation - he may have chosen to "quit" the opportunity and start marketing - or he could have chosen to look into himself and change the very thing that would assure his success - his attitude...

In business, when you don't love what you do it will always seem tough so you may as well quit now while you have the chance...

Picture Credit - Loopholes on Life 

When you love what you do of course, you don't quit - you tolerate the stress and heartache that others won't until eventually you break through and become an "overnight success"...

The stress of success is not the hours or the work, but the changes we have to make to ourselves in order that we develop the attitude and behaviors of achievement...

The reason some people are successful and others aren't isn't because they are inherently better, brighter or more able than others - just that they don't quit, while those around them do.

If you want to get better at business;

1. Choose something that you love - so you will put up with the heartache that will come your way...

2. Don't have a "Plan B" - make it your only option, and only source of income burn your bridges and put your heart and soul into it...

3. Work on Yourself more than you do your business - thanks Jim Rohn -your business reflects you, give it something good to look at...

4. Don't quit - it will get tough, there will be tears, disappointment and more stress than anyone should be able to cope with; deal with it...

5. Do Quit - if you can't comply with points 1 to 4 - then quit now. May as well fail now as later, and make way for those of us who will beat you in the end anyway...

In Business and in Life - our outcomes are dependent on us - If you want to build a better business or build a better Life - Build a Better You...

Why should you contact me...?

Simple - you will be better off with me as your Coach than you are without me. 

I will expect and encourage you to achieve more than you think possible, you will love me some days and hate me the next. I will take away your excuses and replace them with achievement; and on the way we'll have more fun than should be allowed in Business...

So, if you think you're ready - drop me an Email...

If you think you're not - then it makes no difference what you do...

1 comment: