Sunday 28 September 2014

Stop Behaving like an Employee...

...if you want to really get ahead....

Like most of us, I started out working for other people early in my career - it was the best training program I could have wished for, enabling me to build experience such that I could build my own business later...

Of the Bosses I worked for, four were Great, one was an Alcoholic, and one was a Psycho. A pretty good record; and yes he was a Psycho before I worked for him...
 

In hindsight, I was a great employee; it's what enabled me to be good in business when Lynn and I went out on our own...

Doing what I do now, I see CEO's, Executives and Business Owners getting frustrated with the attitude and behavior of their teams, and there is pattern of behavior that will ensure that you start to get all the wrong attention.

So here is my list based on real life experience, of how NOT to behave as an employee...

1. Being Late - always be early for work, meetings and appointments...

2. Big Drama - don't bring it to the office, no one is interested...

3. Be the Gossip - rise above the rumours and backstabbing...

4. Regular Sickness - no one is ill only for one day, especially a Monday...

5. Head Down - don't hide away, volunteer for everything...

6. No Ideas - your boss would kill for just one great idea...

7. Entitlement - earn the right to be there, don't expect it...

8. Mediocre - achieve something amazing, beat budget for example...

9. Moaning - stop it, be positive, bright and engaging...

10. I know - keep learning and update your skills and knowledge...

11. Spending - don't use your expense acct if your below target...

The list above, although not exhaustive, defines the syndrome known as "employee mentality" which shoes up all too frequently...

If you want to get ahead, simply avoid these traits...

Have a great weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment